Swindon Speakers Club follows The Association of Speakers Clubs (The ASC) official training manual. It has been designed and written to take a novice speaker through 10 individual assessments, building confidence and skills developing them into great speakers.
The Speakers Guide is a personal issue log book. It explains what each assessment is about and what the evaluator looks for. It is a portfolio showing positive praise and where needed, constructive feedback so members can improve their abilities. When members join, they can purchase a manual, working through each assessment at their own pace.
It gives advice on how to improve speaking skills from the earliest stages, through to an advanced performance called the “Show piece”;
The first few sections give general advice on how to prepare and deliver a great speech, then each stage getting progressively more challenging to push and hone our members skills.
There are ten assignments each one is designed to improve a particular aspect of speaking.
Once a member has achieved the respectable A10 level, it becomes a recognised qualification , it can form part of a Resume.
For those who feel they want more, there are extra challenges, with an advanced levels section. These assessments allow members to take their speaking to a whole new level and Swindon Speakers will help, guide and support you to achieve each one.
Evaluations and assessing.
Our evaluators are fellow members who are already at more advanced stages of their training. Advice is given in a peer-to-peer evaluation on that one assessment that is being assessed, with feedback on the whole talk. This provides helpful and constructive feedback making our members better speakers.
Plus if people want experience of chairing meetings we can support and guide them too. Opportunities to become a ‘chair’ where members lead sections of the meeting, such as the topics or a training session, or for the those who are willing, they can run the entire evening meeting. These are all great experiences and provide apply training opportunities.
For those who want even more then why not volunteer and become a committee member, to help guide and shape our club into something to be proud of.
Certificates of Achievement
- Members are encouraged to work through the first ten assignments at what ever pace they most comfortable doing. To complete the prized A10 assessment the Club Education Director and an outside A10 qualified speaker is invited to complete the assessment.
- After successfully completing the first five assignments (A5), an interim Certificate is awarded from our National awarding body The ASC.
- A full Certificate of Achievement is awarded once all ten assessments (A10) have been completed.
- Further certificates are given for the more specific/advanced speakers skills.
- The Certificates can be recognised for CPD purposes (continual professional development training).
- Swindon Speakers offers you more than any other Speaking club.
- We offer positive and constructive feedback on your performance.
- If you wish to see your own progress, we can film and record your speech.
- As we like to show off our club and our members, we have a dedicated Youtube channel where we post our videos.
- Videos are posted on our website, feel free to share with friends and family.
- Our advanced modules will encourage you to speak to outside organisation and we will help you with that with our new speaker bureau.
- Providing you progress beyond your A5 assessment you will be able to sign up to our very own ‘Swindon Speaker Bureau’, where we will help find invites for you to speak at events, businesses or even at expo’s.