Swindon Speakers Club – Novel Competition
- The competition requires contestants to concentrate on the audible and not the visible techniques of speaking. The obvious use of notes or a full script will not disadvantage any speaker, nor will the lack of gestures.
- Contestants are required to write a completely original novelette of approximately 5 minutes duration. The title of the piece will be declared, as will the type; e.g. adventure, romance, historical, thriller, ghost, sci-fi etc. Any contestant who uses another author’s work or characters will be eliminated.
- Each contestant will be given 3 minutes exactly to present a reading of his/her novelette during which time the contestant should establish the plot, the period of the story and introduce the principal characters.
- The purpose of the presentation is to convince the audience that they want to know what happens next; i.e. they want to hear the rest of the story.
- Lights will be displayed as follows:
Green 1 Minute 30 seconds
Amber 2 minutes
Red 2 minutes 50 seconds
Red OFF at 3 minutes exactly
At which point the Chairperson will stop the contestant from speaking further.
- (The Club winners will be voted on by the whole audience)
- The Winner will represent the Club at the District Competition in the autumn
- At the District Meeting the winner will be decided by a panel of judges representing the three areas of the District. The winner will be required to recount the complete novelette.
NB: Note to competitors: Notification of the names of the contestants is not required prior to the day of the event. On arrival at the venue, the contestants should make themselves known in good time to the Chairperson of the competition.